811.5034 China—Searchlight Publishing Co./27: Telegram
The Consul General at Shanghai (Cunningham) to the Secretary of State
[Received 5:24 p.m.]
361. Referring to my telegram number 357, August 1, 5 p.m.
1. I called on Mayor yesterday and informed him that I desired to correct erroneous newspaper reports concerning Isaacs. I told Mayor that I had not warned Isaacs that he would be deprived of his extraterritorial rights if he continued his attacks on Chinese Government, but that the warning I gave Isaacs be given only to his publication. I added that I wished to bring this clearly to the Mayor’s attention, in order that authorities concerned might not interfere with Isaacs on basis of false newspaper reports. Mayor replied that he had not believed newspaper reports but appreciated receiving definite information from me. Mayor requested information as to action I might take if Isaacs continued present policy, to which I replied that I could not prejudge case but must first consider any specific complaint which might be made by Chinese authorities.
2. Isaacs has requested advice as to:
- Modification of policy of China Forum necessary to avoid action by this office.
- Under what circumstances he would be notified of withdrawal of protection of American authorities.
- Whether action of the American authorities would be administrative or judicial.
I replied that no definite reply could be given to hypothetical questions but that, in general, action would depend on further developments and circumstances of any particular case which might arise.
3. Searchlight Publishing Company have never been registered in the Consulate General. The China Forum, for [from?] its first number January 13, 1932 to June 8 number, merely stated that it was published weekly at Shanghai. After that date it stated that it was published by the China Forum Publishing Company. This company has not applied for registration at this Consulate General. Isaacs stated that he used this name when it appeared to him that Searchlight Publishing Company would not be granted registration.
Repeated to the Legation.