The Chargé in China ( Mayer ) to the Secretary of State
[Received October 16—9 a.m.]
485. Department’s 231, October 15, 3 p.m.
1. Following from American consul general at Cantoitem:
“October 14, 4 p.m. Referring to my telegrams of October 10, 10 a.m.65 and October 13, 3 p.m.66 [Paraphrase.] I am told by the French and British consuls that no action will be taken by them in regard to the new taxes until they are instructed further by their respective Governments. They inform me also that a joint protest is now being considered by the diplomatic body. If this is correct, I am hesitant about filing the protest. I shall wait, therefore, for further instructions before I act. In my opinion we ought to use care to avoid letting ourselves be maneuvered into such a position as [Page 880] will make us appear to lead the opposition to the taxation policies of the Kuomintang while France and England are acquiescing to them.” [End paraphrase.]
2. I am notifying Senior Minister of assent to the draft protest outlined in paragraph 3 of my 462, October 8, 8 p.m., as amended by Japanese Government (see my 477, October 14, noon, paragraph 9 ). Should unanimous consent not having [have] been obtained by October 20, I shall direct American consul general, Canton, unless instructed to the contrary, to file protest as authorized in Department’s 217, October 5, 7 p.m.