711.522/63: Telegram

The Ambassador in Spain (Moore) to the Secretary of State

64. My 62, July 3, 5 p.m. After further consideration we have decided it would be preferable to withhold temporarily proposal of modus vivendi in order that we may urge element of time as reason for proceeding at once with negotiations. If at the promised conference we find [it] impracticable to proceed with negotiations, proposal will be maintained for modus vivendi.