Paris Peace Conf. 180.0201/14
Peace Congress (Neuilly-sur-Seine), Protocol No. 2, Plenary Session of November 27, 19191
Signature of the Treaty of Peace with Bulgaria
The Plenipotentiaries of the Powers hereinafter enumerated met in the Hall of Festivals in the Mairie of Neuilly-sur-Seine, for the signing of the Treaty of Peace between the Allied and Associated Powers and Bulgaria; their seals had been previously affixed to this instrument.
The session is opened at half-past ten o’clock, under the presidency of M. Georges Clemenceau, President.
- For the United States of
- Hon. Frank Lyon Polk;
- Hon. Henry White;
- General Tasker H. Bliss.
- For the British Empire:
- great britain:
- Mr. Cecil Harms worth, M. P., Under Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs;
- Sir Eyre Crowe, K. C. B., K. C. M. G., Minister Plenipotentiary, Assistant Undersecretary of State for Foreign Affairs.
- Dominions and India
- The Honourable Sir George Halsey Perley, K. C. M. G., High Commissioner for Canada in the United Kingdom.
- The Right Honourable Andrew Fisher, High Commissioner for Australia in the United Kingdom.
- new zealand:
- The Honourable Sir T. Mackenzie, K. C. M. G., High Commissioner for New Zealand in the United Kingdom.
- south africa:
- Mr. Reginald Andrew Blankenberg, O. B. E., Acting High Commissioner for the Union of South Africa in the United Kingdom.
- Sir Eyre Crowe, K. C. B., K. C. M. G.
- For France:
- M. Georges Clemenceau;
- M. Stephen Pichon;
- M. L. L. Klotz;
- M. A. Tardieu;
- M. Jules Cambon.
- For Italy:
- M. G. Marconi, Senator of the Kingdom;
- M. G. de Martino, Minister Plenipotentiary.
- For Japan:
- M. K. Matsui.
- For Belgium:
- M. J. van den Heuvel;
- M. Rolin-Jaequemyns.
- For China:
- M. Vi Kyuin Wellington Koo, Delegate Plenipotentiary.
- Fob Cuba:
- M. Rafael Martinez Ortiz, Minister Plenipotentiary.
- For Greece:
- M. Elefthérios Venizelos;
- M. Nicolas Politis.
- For the Hedjaz:
- Rustem Haidar;
- Abdul Hadi Aouni.
- For Poland:
- M. Ladislas Grabski, Delegate Plenipotentiary.
- M. Stanislas Patek, Delegate Plenipotentiary.
- For Portugal:
- Dr. Affonso Costa;
- M. Jayme Batalha Reis.
- For Siam:
- Prince Charoon.
- For the Czecho-Slovak Republic:
- M. Edvard Benes;
- M. Stefan Osusky, Minister plenipotentiary.
- For Bulgaria:
- M. Alexandre Stamboliiski, President of the Council, Minister for War.
- For the United States of America:
The President, speaking in French, explains the purpose of the meeting in the following terms:—
I have the honor to invite M. Stamboliiski, Plenipotentiary of Bulgaria, to be good enough to place his signature upon the text of the Treaty of Peace between the Allied and Associated Powers and Bulgaria, as well as upon the documents annexed to this Treaty.
M. Stamboliiski, Delegate of Bulgaria, affixes his signature; thereupon, each in turn, the Delegates of the Allied and Associated Powers are called on, according to the order in the Preamble of the Treaty, to place their signatures on the various diplomatic instruments.
The Plenipotentiary of Bulgaria and the Plenipotentiaries of the Allied and Associated Powers enumerated above sign the Treaty of Peace, the Protocol,2 and the Protocol of Signature of the Treaty of Peace.3 (See Annex).4
The Plenipotentiaries of Greece and the Plenipotentiary of Bulgaria sign a Convention relating to freedom of reciprocal emigration.5
At 11.5 o’clock, the signature of the Treaty being concluded, the President speaks in the following terms: [Page 444]
Gentlemen, all the signatures having been affixed, the signing of the Conditions of Peace between the Allied and Associated Powers and Bulgaria is an accomplished fact.
By virtue of the Protocol of Signature, the Treaty of Peace and the Protocol may be signed up to the 5th of December.
The order of the day being disposed of, the session is adjourned at 11.5 o’clock.
J. C. Grew.
- Translation from the French supplied by the editors.↩
- For the English text of the Treaty of Peace and the Protocol, see Senate Document No. 7, 67th Cong., 1st sess., p. 47.↩
- The French text of the Protocol of Signature is printed in Jahrbuch des Völkerrechts, Band viii, p. 468.↩
- This document is not accompanied by an annex in the Department’s files.↩
- For text of the Greek-Bulgar Convention, see League of Nations Treaty Series, vol. i, No. 1, p. 68.↩