File No. 811.2222/2612

The Secretary of State to the Ambassador in Great Britain ( Page)


6251. Your 8219, January 10.1 If delay in reaching agreement with Canada in regard to article 4 is not too prolonged, I would prefer to wait a short while before signing conscription agreement omitting article 4. Political conditions, however, may change at any moment making it necessary for me to proceed to signature, in which event I will telegraph you in advance. I am most anxious, however, to have the British Government continue to urge the Canadian Government to accept article 4 as it now stands. The Canadian representatives are here for the purpose of negotiating separate convention, but matter has not yet been taken up.

The verbal changes indicated by you are accepted and have been made in Department’s draft.

  1. Not printed.