Mr. Breckinridge to Mr. Olney.

No. 282.]

Sir: Referring to my No. 236 of February 27 in regard to Henry Topor, I have the honor to transmit herewith copy and translation of a note of March 27/April 8, from Mr. Chichkine and translation of a document (original in Russian) accompanying Mr. Chichkine’s note, giving particulars in regard to Mr. Topor’s arrest and present condition.

From this it appears that his passport was issued in the name of Francis Topor; and that his name before going to the United States was Henry Baritsky. His mental and physical condition is testified by the authorities of the Warsaw Hospital to leave but little hope of complete recovery.

No mention being made of the request for the release of Mr. Topor, under proper escort, as directed by your Nos. 167 of January 23 and 176 of February 10, respectively, and covered by my note of February 18, I repeat my inquiry upon this point. The result will be made known to you as soon as ascertained.

I have, etc.,

Clifton R. Breckinridge.
[Inclosure in No. 282.—Translation.]

Mr. Minister: Referring to the notes of the legation of the United States of America of December 8/20, 1895, and February 6/18 of the current year, relating to Henry Topor, I have the honor to transmit to you herewith an extract from a document of the department of medicine containing the facts regarding the arrest and the present condition of the above-named person.

Accept, etc.,


Abstract of a communication from the adjoint of the minister of the interior to the minister of foreign affairs, dated March 13, 1896.

* * * * * * *

According to information, Topor was arrested on the 12th of September last, in Warsaw, with a passport issued to the American citizen, Francis Topor. On arrest, he turned out to be Henry Baritsky, constant resident of the city of Warsaw, as testified to by his brother, Anthony Baritsky, and his relative, Mary Dvoriakoff. Upon this discovery, his case was referred to the examining officer, and later, by order of the Warsaw district court, dated September 29, 1895, Baritsky was interned at the Warsaw Hospital for the Insane, at Tvor, in which he is still retained. According [Page 528] to information received from the director of said hospital, dated January 22, 1896, Baritsky explains his journey to Russia as being the result of his intention to transfer his business to Warsaw and to see his relatives. In general, Baritsky is suffering from disorder of the mind, in the form of a commencement of progressive paralysis, and little hope is given of his complete recovery. Since his arrival at said hospital he has had several tits due to congestion and rush of blood to the head, with temporary unconsciousness.

True copy.

[Signature illegible.]
Chief of Bureau.