Mr. Uhl to Mr. Olney.
Berlin , June 3, 1896 . (Received June 19.)
Sir: On Thursday last I sought and had an interview with Baron von der Recke, the Prussian minister of the interior, with reference to the applications now pending in his department of the Mutual Life Insurance Company and the New York Life Insurance Company for permission to resume business in Prussia.
I was informed by the minister that all the records, documents, and papers were being and to be examined by different experts; that he had already received a report in the case of the New York Life Insurance Company from one expert, and without giving it his personal examination had submitted the same to another for review; that the report in the case of the Mutual Life Insurance Company had not been received, but was expected shortly, when it would take like reference as the other. The minister, moreover, stated that he had as yet given the applications and papers connected therewith no personal attention, and consequently had no present opinion upon the merits; that upon the receipt of the final report from the experts he would take the subject up and carefully examine the entire record with a view of reaching a just decision in the premises, and that he felt a disinclination to hasten the work of the experts, as he desired them to take all the time necessary for a thorough examination.
I took occasion to assure his excellency that the people of the United States, and the Government thereof as well, felt a deep interest in the outcome of these applications, and had great confidence that the result [Page 195] thereof would be the restoration of the companies to their former business status. I further said to him that if, in the pending examination, either by the experts engaged thereon or himself, any point should be obscure or further information should be desired upon any branch of the subject, the interested companies would, upon being advised, promptly undertake to supply any additional data essential to make clear anything remaining in doubt.
To this he replied that if any additional showing should seem necessary he would at once take pleasure in informing me.
In this connection I may add that at an interview had a few days since with Baron von Marschall, the Imperial secretary of state for foreign affairs, I brought up the insurance question likewise, and received from him the reply that no further action could be taken until the reports of the experts should come in. To him I made substantially the same statements as to Baron von der Recke, as to the interest with which the decision is awaited in the United States.
I have, etc.,