General Sickles to Mr. Fish.
[Telegram.—Rec’d Feb. 13—9.50 p.m.]
Madrid, February 11, 1873.
Midnight. By authority of Cortes the executive government is constituted as follows:
- President, Estanislao Figueras.
- Secretary of state, Castelar.
- Secretary of war, General Cordova.
- Secretary of navy, Beranger.
- Secretary of interior, Pi Margall.
- Secretary of treasury, Echegaray.
- Grace and justice, Nicolas Salmeron.
- Public works, Becerra.
- Colonies, Francisco Salmeron.
- Four of these have heretofore been prominent republicans. Four were members of late cabinet, and the present colonial minister was vice-president of chamber of deputies.
- Martos declined office.
- Tranquillity perfect.