218. Backchannel Message From the President’s Assistant for National Security Affairs (Kissinger) to the Ambassador to Vietnam (Martin)1
WH50657. You will be receiving by State cable instructions to evacuate the American community to a level of 1250.
2. Now that President has given his speech calling for substantial emergency assistance to Vietnam, you should see President Thieu immediately and explain to him the measures that we will be taking as a temporary precaution.
3. I am fully aware of your strong views on this issue but we simply cannot run risks of something unexpected occurring. I want you to know that the order for the immediate reduction comes personally from the President. He feels very strongly about the need for it and the appropriateness of the timing in connection with his strong speech.
4. On this one there is now no more flexibility. I know I can count on you.
5. Warm regards.
- Source: Ford Library, National Security Adviser, Backchannel Messages, Box 3, Martin Channel, April 1975, Outgoing (1). Secret; Sensitive; Eyes Only.↩