115. Memorandum From the Director of Central Intelligence (Colby) to the President’s Assistant for National Security Affairs (Kissinger)1
Washington, November 23, 1973.
- Covert Disinformation Program Against North Vietnam
- On 2 November you asked that we implement a covert disinformation program designed to lead the North Vietnamese to conclude that any new major offensive which they may launch in South Vietnam will result in massive U.S. military retaliation.2 This program has now been launched, and we have already received indications that at least some aspects of it have hit their mark.
- [6 paragraphs (97 lines) not declassified]
- As a corollary to the above program, we have been looking for ways to cause the North Vietnamese leadership to doubt the reliability of China as an ally in time of war. [13 lines not declassified]
- We will bring to your attention any further reactions which we may obtain from the above initiatives.
W. E. Colby