378. Telegram From the Mission to the United Nations to the Department of State 1
New York, July 22, 1971, 2345Z.
1993. Subj: Chirep—Bush–SYG Meeting July 22.
- Summary. Bush, during call on SYG on another subject July 22, took occasion to brief U Thant along lines para 4, State 131353.2 SYG expressed appreciation. End summary.
- Bush explained restrictions placed on members of administration on this subject. Although US tactics in GA not yet decided and he under firm instructions not to speculate, Bush said he believed he owed SYG as much information as was currently available.
- Basic purpose of President’s July 15 announcement was to improve relations with PRC. At same time, US was going to continue to have good relations with GRC. Our basic defense treaty will remain in force and we will work for retention of GRC in the UN. Our assessment is that if we continued with same policy as in past we would not be successful in blocking Albanian Resolution or getting majority for IQ. Reiterating US support for GRC, Bush said US will support GRC [Page 735]membership in UN and noted our tactical position still being worked out. Only thing yet decided is that we will vote against expulsion of GRC.
- U Thant said he understood situation and expressed appreciation for briefing. In reply to question, Bush said we had been in touch with WE allies and others on this issue.
- In reply to Bush’s question, SYG said it possible Albanian res cosponsors would seek and obtain priority consideration in plenary immediately after general debate. This could lead to question being decided about middle of October. SYG volunteered, “I will then have to get in touch with Peking.”
- Comment. This is first hint we have had SYG may have changed his long-standing prediction PRC will not enter UN until Nov 1972.