13. Telegram From the Embassy in Iran to the Department of State1
Tehran, April 8, 1964, 5 p.m.
890. Embtel 882.2 Further background on release of Khomeini, obtained from Prime Minister:
- Govt made clear to Khomeini that if he engages in political activities, he will be re-arrested. Khomeini allegedly promised behave.
- Mansur allowed it to be understood he had had difficulty persuading Shah that Khomeini should be freed.
- PM felt it was desirable free Khomeini now, rather than just before Moharam, because later release might be interpreted as due to fear of rioting similar to last year’s.
- Govt has “taken steps” with other leading mullahs, notably Milani, Qomi and Shariat-Madari, to prevent Khomeini’s position being strengthened as result his release.