145. Telegram From the Embassy in the United Arab Republic to the Department of State 1
Cairo, June 4, 1967, 1925Z.
8384. Ref: Cairo 8471.2
- Chargé Nes has just been called separately by Ashraf Ghorbal of Foreign Office and Mustapha Aziz of Presidency and told that Zakariya Mohieddin plans leave for Washington Wednesday June 7.
- Party will include Mustapha Aziz, perhaps Deputy Prime Minister Fawzi and others. Details of party and travel plans will be given us tomorrow. Chargé has offered all assistance. Ghorbal leaving tomorrow as advance party, with ETA Washington Tuesday.
- Indications are that Mohieddin will wish discuss totality Palestine problem, resolution of which would permit regulation Tiran Straits issue. More on this later as may be possible following any discussions we may be able have with delegation members prior their departure.
- Source: National Archives and Records Administration, RG 59, Central Files 1967–69, POL ARAB–ISR. Secret; Flash; Nodis. Received at 3:44 p.m. Rostow sent a copy to the President at 5:15 p.m. (Johnson Library, National Security File, Country File, Middle East Crisis, Vol. III)↩
- Nolte reported in telegram 8471 from Cairo, June 4, that the Embassy had informed Riad of the contents of telegram 207861 to Cairo (see footnote 2, Document 134), and that he planned to take up the subject of Mohieddin’s visit with Nasser when presenting his credentials on June 5. (National Archives and Records Administration, RG 59, Central Files 1967–69, POL ARAB–ISR) Rusk responded to the latter point in telegram 207994, June 4, which reads in part: “The great value of Mohieddin’s visit is opportunity for private discussions. The less said about it the better.” (Johnson Library, National Security File, Country File, Middle East Crisis, Anderson Cables)↩