118. Telegram From the Joint Chiefs of Staff to the Commander in Chief, European Command (Lemnitzer)1
Washington, June 1, 1967, 1545Z.
6724. Subj: USS Liberty Sked (U). Ref: DIRNSA G/104/311906Z May 67 (Notal-BOM).2
- (S) When RFS request sail Liberty
IAW following sked:
- 2 Jun. Depart Rota.
- 2–8 Jun. En route via Gibraltar Strait CPA as safe nav permits. Then via northern Africa coastal route to posit 32–00N 33–00E. CPA Morocco, Malta 3 NM: claimed list 3 NM. CPA Spain, Tunisia, Sardinia, Sicily, Crete 7 NM; claimed dist 6 NM. CPA Algeria, Libya, UAR 13 NM; claimed dist 12 NM.
- 9–30 Jun. Conduct ops south of 32–00N and between 33–00E and 34–00E.3 While conducting ops CPA UAR 12.5 NM, CPA Israel 6.5 NM.
- (U) Request JCS (JRC), CNO, CINCLANT (JRC), CINCLANTFLT be included as info addees on all Movereps, Daily Sitreps, and Incident Reports.
- (U) En route tech tasking IAW ref.
- (U) Procedures for developing July sked follow.
- Source: Johnson Library, National Security File, NSC Histories, Middle East Crisis, Vol. 7, Appendix H. Secret. Repeated to CNO, CINCLANT, CINCLANTFLT, CINCUSNAVEUR, COMSIXTHFLT, CTF 64, USS LIBERTY, DIRNSA, NSAEUR, DIRNAVSECGRU, ADIRNAVSECGRU, DIRNAVSECGRULANT, DIRNAVSECGRUEUR.↩
- DIRNSA G/104, 311960Z May 67, not printed.↩
- DIRNSA ADP/242–67, 292013Z May 67, had requested that the Liberty operate in this area, which was proposed operational area 3 of five proposed operational areas. It stated that the actual operating area should be adjusted as necessary for operational and safety reasons. (National Security Agency, Center for Cryptologic History Historical Collection, Series VII, Crisis Files, Box 16e, COMSIXTHFLT Messages re Liberty)↩