273. Memorandum From the Counselor of Embassy in Viet-Nam (Mendenhall) to the Public Affairs Officer in Viet-Nam (Anspacher)1
- Proposals for Improving the Organization and Broadening the Base of Support of the GVN
Attached is a paper prepared at the Ambassador’s request containing certain specific proposals aimed at improving the organization of the GVN and broadening the base of its support among both the educated classes and the masses. Your comments and suggestions on an urgent basis would be appreciated. It would be particularly helpful if MAAG could briefly spell out for inclusion in this paper the specifics of fleshing out the authority of the Field Command over military counterinsurgency operations.2
The Ambassador has made no decision about the use of this paper, but he wishes to have it available for possible use during the current negotiations with the GVN in case he is asked by the GVN for specifics in the fields covered by the paper.
- Source: Washington National Records Center, RG 84, Saigon Embassy Files: FRC 66 A 335, GVN-Government of Viet-Nam 1961. Secret. Initialed by Mendenhall; also addressed to McGarr, Gardiner, and Colby.↩
- No response by MAAG to the paper has been found.↩
- No drafting information is given on the source text, which includes several handwritten interpolations, apparently by Anspacher. Attached to the source text is a memorandum of November 25 from Anspacher to Mendenhall, in which Anspacher said he had no basic disagreement with the paper, but suggested certain textual changes.↩