785. Telegram 815 to Geneva1
Washington, February 11, 1957, 6:55 p.m.
815. For Johnson.
Guidance for February 14 meeting.
- Take issue with virtual repudiation Agreed Announcement by Huang Hua in interview with O’Neill December 28, when former stated that until American prisoner released from jail QUOTE question of encountering obstruction UNQUOTE did not arise. As Wang well knows, Americans imprisoned or under house arrest were the very ones that were subject of American representations and there would have been no purpose Chinese Communists declaring they would QUOTE further adopt appropriate measures so that they can expeditiously exercise their right to return UNQUOTE if it were not to apply to Americans in jail. Furthermore, recall that even though Chinese [Typeset Page 1320] criminals in US jails were not covered, when Communists suggested they were covered if Americans in Communist jails were, US while denying this interpretation, nevertheless so there could be no question proceeded to see that Chinese criminals in US jails were given opportunity to go to Communist China. If Wang counters with usual charges regarding QUOTE obstruction UNQUOTE Chinese departing US, refer categorical statement by spokesman of Foreign Ministry, New Delhi, February 1, that [Facsimile Page 2] Government of India QUOTE unable find any obstruction being placed on their exit UNQUOTE.
- Again press for accounting missing military personnel, presenting additional individual cases.
- Maintain position other subjects.
- If Wang endeavors exploit current controversy in US over travel newsmen Communist China, refer as necessary to Communist treatment Americans as reason for US policy, but avoid extended discussion.
- If Wang refers press reports US plans station Matador unit Taiwan, avoid comment.
- FYI Lee Li-chuen, who Wang alleged being forced go Taiwan, is seaman who entered US November 1, 1955 on GRC-registered ship Union Power. At one time deportation Taiwan planned. Immigration states Lee now under order deportation plans depart voluntarily own expense San Francisco February 23 for mainland China. Since Lee may fail depart as scheduled, believe preferable not repeat not inform Wang now. However, if he raises case, you may state categorically Lee never obstructed from leaving US for any destination. END FYI.
- Propose next meeting March 14.
- Source: Department of State, Central Files, 611.93/21157. Confidential; Priority; Limit Distribution. Drafted by Clough; cleared by McConaughy and Sebald and Phleger in draft.↩