99. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to CIA Stations in [2 places not declassified]1
38175. 1. Major Alfonso Martinez (Estevez), Director Guatemalan National Agrarian Dept, believed now in Switzerland. Subj was scheduled arrive Amsterdam from Montreal 20 Jan 54 on KLM flight 650. Travelled alone.
2. Subj aged 30 formerly private secretary to Guat President Jacobo Arbenz. Purpose subject’s trip variously reported for:
- Deposit funds for leading Guat officials
- Purchase arms for Guat Govt.
3. For [place not declassified]: Request confirmation [less than 1 line of source text not declassified] Amsterdam arrival and check on further planned itinerary. For [place not declassified]: Request check on subject’s movements, contacts, etc., which would substantiate or disprove either 2A or 2B para 2.2
4. For [2 places not declassified]: If para 3 checks negative, please institute similar checks your areas, [less than 1 line of source text not declassified] if necessary.
5. Request priority handling.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79-01025A, Box 7, Folder 2. Secret;Routine. Approved by King. Repeated to [2 places not declassified].↩
- Telegram DIR 38178, sent less than 1 hour later, transmitted instructions to plant a story that Mart’nez had not fled the country but was in Switzerland depositing money in the name of Guatemalan Government leaders, in case Switzerland had to become a safehaven in the event that Arbenz and other leaders had to flee. In addition, Martínez was to be portrayed as an arms buyer, purchasing aircraft and arms for Arbenz. (DIR 38178 [place not declassified], February 12, 2150Z; ibid.)↩