43. Letter From Colonel Castillo Armas to the Central Intelligence Agency1
August 22, 1953.
Translation of a letter received from RUFUS, 25 August 1953
- [initials not declassified] will leave Tegucigalpa on Monday, 31 August. He will be in Washington about 15 September. Yesterday he returned from a visit with our friends in El Salvador.
- I have complete confidence in Somoza and in our plan to put a base there. The reasons
for my confidence are:
- Somoza has shown himself very enthusiastic and desirous of co-operating with us. For example he sent at his own expense ($4000.00) one of his pilots to the U.S.A. to inspect planes for us.
- He has promised us one of his big bombers (B-24) completely equipped. I offered to pay for it. He said no we could have it for nothing.
- Somoza has placed at our disposal his military base at Puerto Cabezas.
- At the proper moment Somoza is prepared to bring about any necessary agreement for joint action between Honduras, El Salvador, and Nicaragua. This he has assured me.
- He knows moreover that he cannot deceive you and your friends.
- Lastly, it serves his own interest to help us because he realizes that the threat to Nicaragua is greater than ever before. This he told me personally the last time I saw him.
- Yesterday WT gave me $10,000.00. I need another $10,000 immediately if I am to meet heavy commitments coming up at the end of the month. I am very sorry to have to raise this subject again but, I beg you to please send me some money as soon as possible.
- A friend in Panama has offered to sell me an LCI2 properly equipped for the operation we have in mind. He asks $10,000.00. This ship is more suitable that the Bali Hai as the Bali Hai has been modified for commercial use. (Note: the Bali Hai has not yet been bought by RUFUS.)