244. Telegram From the CIA Station in Guatemala to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
981. 1. JMBLUG enroute at this moment 1245 hours local time for conference with STANDEL 1 and general staff following telephone call from STANDEL 1 and SUMAC who have intimated they wish to turn govt over to Junta. Obvious govt situation desperate despite communiqué to effect that govt will fight house by house until end.
2. Since army has shown no guts in past do not believe they can be expected to show courage now.
3. Believe govt on point of surrendering.
4. Have briefed JMBLUG that govt must agree to following points act or deny statements issued by Calligeris:
- Arrest Communist and other leaders responsible for situation.
- Declaration martial law.
- Cessation of hostilities.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 11, Folder 5. Secret; Operational Immediate; PBSUCCESS. Repeated to the Director of Central Intelligence.↩