239. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to the CIA Station in Guatemala1
Washington, June 26, 1954, 2358Z.
06734. JMBLUG from Whiting.
- From defector WSBURNT Embassy here we are advised that govt appears very shaky and that there is great confusion. He strongly recommends early announcement of evacuation US citizens from Guatemala as measure having profound adverse effect on regime stability.
- In light of this information which supports your original views, we feel you should make statement re evacuation plans soonest advising us when this done and also text your statement so can be released to press here. We doubt censorship will let pass text of statement you make. We do not know precise terms your instructions or guidance from ODACID this subject but understand initiative left with you. However, it remains our view this should be done on basis you stating that govt is arranging facilities and will assist those depart who wish go now. The actual working out of details of departures and arrangements less important than shock effect of announcement so no reason delay [Page 387]announcement to this effect. And if ODACID wants order general evacuation later let that come on in due course.
- Because of operational difficulties and extra load on communications which it would create, we recommend against massive airlift evacuation operation.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 9, Folder 3. Secret; Priority; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Drafted by Wisner. Repeated to PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida.↩