206. Telegram From Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida to the Central Intelligence Agency1
[place not declassified], June 19, 1954, 0934Z.
4062. Ref: [telegram indicator not declassified] 650.2
- No authority to bomb at present, also army may swing our side soon.
- Avoid attack and bypass Hank while having air show by fighters for benefit garrison.
- If fear or dislike regime does not bring army over in day more forceful air support will have to be provided.
- Try one day guerrilla tactics with air show. Meanwhile we are requesting authority for real air support to be ready if necessary. In meantime can assure you have realistic hope that army may turn against regime. Cannot afford risk this opportunity by bomb or other attack until make effort find out.
- SHERWOOD: Order supply bombs moved to SOMERSET to be ready by dawn 20 June.