160. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
Washington, May 21, 1954, 1708Z.
01610. Re: LINC 2949.2
- Whereas HQs agrees need for evidence active opposition we are unable approve use this plane from this base with this crew for this purpose.
- The impact of leaflets does not appear to warrant the serious risks and possibilities of total ODYOKE compromise. If leaflets are the answer and we regard them as of marginal value under present circumstances why not let the Calligeris controlled internal propaganda organizations distribute or disburse them. A much more solid showing of internal resistance would be some success sabotage effort which we trust you are souping up.
- Use of Calligeris internal propaganda organization this purpose at this time would provide useful test strength and capability that organization.
- Possibly [name not declassified] or Calligeris other friend further south would be willing send over a plane at night for purpose of leaflet drop.3 Why not try this.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 8, Folder 6. Secret; Immediate; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Drafted by Wisner.↩
- Not printed. (Ibid., Box 4, Folder 8)↩
- Although no additional details on the delivery have been found, dispatch HUL–A–893 from PBSUCCESS Headquarters to Guatemala, May 23, informed the Station that “we intend to arrange an airdrop of the attached leaflet on/or about Wednesday 26 May.” A copy of the leaflet was attached. (Ibid., Box 103, Folder 3)↩