152. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to the CIA Station in [place not declassified]1
Washington, May 16, 1954, 2135Z.
839. Pass to SKILLET from ODACID and Whiting.
- We have received report from JMBLUG to following effect. [name and less than 1 line of source text not declassified], was told by [less than 1 line of source text not declassified] that ship Alfhem arrived Puerto Barrios 1500 hours 15 May carrying shipment consigned Guatemalan Government and allegedly consisting of 2000 tons armament, types unknown. Further reported that vessel met by Sanchez, Minister of Defense, and unloaded by 1800 hours.
- Information available here indicates Alfhem is Swedish flag vessel of 4850 gross tons owned by Angbats A.B. Bohrslavska Kusten. Lloyds loading list of 11 May gives last sighting off Brest, France, reportedly enroute from Stettin, Poland, to Dakar.
- You requested to do following: utilizing the services of the naval attaché, KUBARK personnel, [less than 1 line of source text not declassified], Embassy personnel, [less than 1 line of source text not declassified] and your own best judgment, get for us the fullest evidence regarding this shipment which if necessary can be used to prove Guatemalan efforts to import clandestinely arms from behind Iron Curtain. Such evidence would include the originals or photostats of the ship’s documents showing origin of shipment, consignor, consignee, description, tonnage, also photographs of ship plus recognizable pictures its captain and crew. Also aerial and ground photos of unloading operation and of the units of cargo. Make every effort to obtain specimens of the cargo by purchase, theft, loss overboard and subsequent clandestine recovery.
- Exercise your resourceful judgment as to any additional item of evidence obtainable. Report urgently your plans and steps taken to accomplish them. First item of info required is positive identification and location of vessel which should be possible by aerial recce and preferably photos.
- This action given SKILLET because he believed have more facilities and greater freedom of action than JMBLUG, who also being requested provide such info as he can obtain through his own resources. You are authorized coordinate your actions with JMBLUG to extent you deem desirable.
- Note for Princep: this is top priority matter and you requested provide fullest support to SKILLET.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 8, Folder 5. Top Secret; Immediate; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Drafted by Wisner. Repeated to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida and the CIA Station in Guatemala.↩