125. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
Washington, April 10, 1954, 1828Z.
46048. From Whiting.
- FYI. High level meeting this afternoon being held at request identity A who has expressed strong doubts and reservations and purpose is to give him basic intelligence briefing and outline general concept of Success. Discussion of operational details will be held to minimum.
- Plan generally take following positions:
- Basic reason for PBSUCCESS in first instance was top level direction to accomplish planned result.
- ODACID still primarily in charge basic policy decision and having approved our present plan at highest level we propose proceeding as scheduled unless directed otherwise by ODACID or unless operational considerations dictate modification plan and timing.
- Regarding situation WSHOOFS believe no decision should be made before we obtain full knowledge all facts which LINCOLN obtaining from ONTRICH today.
- Believe despite SKILLET exceeding authority situation may not prove irreparable operationally.
- Any substantial delay present plan by ODACID would be serious and might mean any new effort thereafter would require starting from scratch or worse.
- Will advise soonest outcome meeting which we feel certain will not produce any final decisions.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79-01025A, Box 8, Folder 1. Secret; Priority. Drafted by Wisner.↩