The Ambassador in China ( Stuart ) to the Secretary of State
[Received September 14—6:57 a.m.]
1676. ReDeptel 1246, August 30, 6 p.m. Foreign Office informally suggests amendment draft of protocol of exchange of ratifications as follows:
- First paragraph as stated ref Deptel.
- Second paragraph: “The Ambassador of the United States of America stated that the treaty is ratified on behalf of the United States of America subject to the reservation and understanding set forth in the resolution of June 2, 1948, of the Senate of the United States of America, advising and consenting to ratification, a copy of which resolution was communicated to the Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Republic of China by the Ambassador of the United States of America by his note No. 502 of July 8, 1948, to the effect that the provisions contained in paragraph 5 subparagraph (c) of the protocol attached to the aforesaid treaty be deleted and that the words ‘article XI being excepted’ be added to the closing sentence of article XXIX, paragraph 1, subparagraph (g) of the aforesaid treaty”.
- Third paragraph as stated ref Deptel.
- Paragraphs 4, 5 and 6 to be deleted in favor of exchange of notes.
- Paragraphs 7, 8 and 9 as stated in ref Deptel.
Inclusion text re ITO, GATT, Trust Territories now unnecessary due Foreign Office acceptance our position and its decision not submit these subjects to Legislative Yuan. Embassy substituting title “Minister for Foreign Affairs” for erroneous title “Minister of Foreign Affairs” throughout protocol.