893.00/6–2147: Telegram

The Ambassador in China (Stuart) to the Secretary of State

1359. The following is Hsin Hua Agency release from north Shensi, datelined June 17:

“Tass broadcast reported this statement by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Outer Mongolian Republic (issued on June 15) on the Peitashan incident on June 5 as follows:

[Page 566]

“‘The Central News Agency of the Chinese Government reported on June 9 that a cavalry unit of the Outer Mongolian Republic attacked Peitashan (Mongolian name: Peitake-Buke) on June 5 and penetrated 200 miles into Chinese territory. The Central News release further reported that 4 airplanes, bearing the Soviet emblem, participated in this attack. At a press conference on June 11, held in Nanking, the spokesman of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not refute this Central News release. Furthermore, the Central News on June 11 affirmed that Peitashan is situated in Chinese territory, and is far from the Mongolian border. In view of this, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Outer Mongolian Republic is instructed to state that the statement by the Chinese Foreign Office spokesman, as well as Central News release, regarding the invasion of China by Mongolian cavalry units under the cover of Soviet planes, are not true but purely fabrications of a provocative nature.

“‘Peitake-Buke is not, as alleged by the spokesman of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, situated in Chinese territory, but is well within Outer Mongolian border.

“‘As to what has taken place on June 5 on the Mongolian–Sinkiang border, the true story is as follows: Chinese troops crossed the border and entered Outer Mongolia. At the foot of Peitake-Buke, 15 kilometers beyond the boundary line, Chinese troops pitched their tents and began searching activities and also erected defense constructions. At the same time, they assaulted the Mongolian border sentries, customarily stationed near there. Upon the discovery of the illegal entry of Chinese troops by the Mongolian National Defence Headquarters, the Mongolian authorities hoped to prevent the occurrence of any incidents, and sent officers to the Chinese troops requesting them to retreat from Mongolian territory. The Chinese commander not only refused to comply with this request, but, contrary to international practices, detained the Mongolian envoys, at the same time he ordered further advances into Mongolian territory. Under such conditions, the border forces of the Outer Mongolia Republic were compelled to drive the invaders out of Mongolian territory, which was successfully accomplished by the Outer Mongolian border forces with the aid of several Outer Mongolian aeroplanes. In doing so, Outer Mongolian troops did not enter into Chinese territory. After the Chinese troops were driven out, the bodies of the Mongolian officers were found at the old site of the Chinese tents. From the bodies, it could be seen that they were killed in a ruthless manner. Their hands and feet were burned to mere stumps, and even the abdomens were opened up. Besides these bodies, the bodies of four Mongolian sentries were also found with their eyes scooped out.’”