The Chargé in Brazil ( Daniels ) to the Secretary of State
[Received 4:25 p.m.]
611. Communists in Brazil are stepping up their anti-American propaganda campaign. Other than international issues, main lines of attack on US in Brazilian matters are following:
- Military occupation Brazilian soil by American troops, specifically with regard to the air bases. The propaganda suggests permanence American “occupation” and ceding of Brazilian bases to US.
- Continuous reference to “colonizing capital” (in which Great Britain is associated) intending to convey the idea that American capital is bleeding Brazil for benefit of capitalists rather than helping development of country.
- Allegations that US is interested in fomenting war between Brazil and Argentina, such as by development of bases in Rio Grande do Sul for use against Argentina.
- Blaming US for current bread shortage in Brazil by alleged refusal of US to permit Brazil to ship rubber to Argentina in return for wheat.28
Embassy is alert to desirability of correcting any misapprehensions which might be created in minds Brazilian people by this unfriendly propaganda. At same time it believes matter should be handled with utmost discretion to avoid giving any grounds for belief that US desires repressive measures against Communist Party.