The Secretary of State to the Ambassador in the United Kingdom (Winant)
3859. Department has open mind regarding meeting place for proposed exploratory rubber discussions. Arguments favoring London:
- Otherwise necessary for British and Dutch delegations to come to Washington;
- Frequent discussions have been held in Washington while very few in London;
- Embassy staff familiar with rubber problems.
Rubber industry representatives here favor Washington meeting:
- To give British and Dutch opportunity to observe magnitude of United States synthetic industry;
- To provide opportunity for greater number of industry people to meet with British and Dutch.
Since British will probably wish agreement to be signed in London argument can be made for holding preliminary discussions in Washington.
Department wishes Embassy’s opinion regarding most desirable meeting place and attitude of British and Dutch on this matter. Department inclined to follow wishes of British and Dutch regarding meeting place.