740.00112 European War 1939/8282: Telegram
The Secretary of State to the Minister in Sweden ( Johnson )
Washington , April 26, 1943—8 p.m.
519. Your 1336, April 24, and London’s 2865, April 24, 4 p.m. (repeated to you).
- In light of views expressed in reference telegrams, Department and BEW agree that you should not seek agreement with Swedes on transit question at this time.
- We understand that form of invitation referred to in Department’s 489 of April 20 (Department’s 2514 of April 20 to London) will permit discussion of this question in London. We consider it important that way be left open to raise this matter in London negotiations if we so desire.
- If assumption in paragraph 2 correct, please extend invitation as soon as your British colleague is prepared to do so.
- A later telegram will be sent to London and repeated to you containing suggestions as to type of understanding on transit traffic which Department and BEW believe should be sought from Swedes during course of London negotiations.
Repeated to London as Department’s no. 2646.