740.0011 European War 1939/10644: Telegram

The Chargé in Ecuador ( Drew ) to the Secretary of State

74. Referring to Department’s No. 68, April 29, 10 p.m.12 I discussed this matter with the Minister of Foreign Affairs this morning. He is in accord with the Department’s suggestion and offered to inform me of the President’s decision as soon as possible.

The Minister made a similar proposal to the governments of the other American Republics last March. He read me the replies received most of which raised some objection or agreed on condition that the action be unanimous. The reply of Peruvian Minister for Foreign Affairs suggested the possibility that Spain might agree to remain neutral on condition that the American Republics give a similar guarantee and pointed out that it would be impossible to comply with this understanding in the event that the United States entered the war. I informed the Minister that it was my understanding that we were not now proposing joint action and suggested the possibility that if any one country were to take the lead it might prompt other governments to take similar action.

The Minister for Foreign Affairs informed me that the British Minister had made a similar proposal last week.

  1. See footnote 3, p. 46.