The British Ambassador ( Howard ) to the Secretary of State

No. 1205

Sir: I have the honour to refer to my note No. 1127 of the 20th ultimo in which I informed you that His Majesty’s Government [Page 540] would be prepared to co-operate with the United States Government in the event of their deciding to adopt the proposal submitted to them by the United States Chargé d’Affaires in Paris suggesting that for the purpose of arresting the export of a large number of aircraft recently ordered in France, a gentleman’s agreement should be negotiated between the United States Government, the French Government and His Majesty’s Government, prohibiting absolutely the export of all aircraft to China during the present revolutionary disturbances in that country.

His Majesty’s Government now inform me that they are desirous of ascertaining at an early date whether the United States Government are disposed to adopt the proposal in question, and in the affirmative event, I am instructed to enquire whether the United States Government would be prepared to consider the possibility of giving greater efficacy to the suggested agreement by including in it other aircraft-producing Powers, irrespective as to whether or no such Powers are already parties to the existing agreement enforcing the embargo upon the export of arms to China.

I have [etc.]

(For the Ambassador)
H. G. Chilton