The Chargé in Mexico ( Summerlin ) to the Secretary of State
[Received May 6.]
Sir: I have the honor to report that the following presidents of American oil companies operating in Mexico, arrived in Mexico City by special train on the 23rd instant, for conference with Mr. Adolfo do la Huerta, Secretary of the Treasury, in regard to petroleum matters:
- Mr. Walter C. Teagle, Standard Oil Company of New Jersey,
- Mr. Edward L. Doheny, Sr., Mexican Petroleum Company,
- Mr. Harry F. Sinclair, Sinclair Oil Company,
- Mr. J. W. Van Dyke, Atlantic Refining Company,
- Mr. E. C. Lufkin, Texas Oil Company.
Mr. de la Huerta arrived on the same date from Sonora, and the conferences with the oil representatives began on the 24th instant. The visitors were received informally by General Obregón, at Chapultepec Castle, the evening of the 24th.
No official statements have been made public as to the progress of the conferences, but a semi-official denial has been made in regard to a report that one of the objects of the conference is to bring about a reform of Article 27 of the Mexican Constitution.
I have been advised by the representatives that the Department has been informed as to the object of the conference.
I have [etc.]