President Harding to the Secretary of State

My Dear Mr. Secretary: I have yours of even date and since noting its contents I have also had an interview with the Secretary of War. He has already advised General Allen, Commanding the American Forces at Coblenz, to make no official announcement of his orders though he will continue to make his arrangements for withdrawal as suggested in the official order. It will be possible at any time up to June 1st to make arrangements to leave a small detachment of American troops, if it is decided that it is desirable so to do. There will be, of course, every cooperation with your Department in carrying out such policy as the circumstances seem to suggest to further the best interests of our relationship abroad.

Very truly yours,

Warren G. Harding