Mr. Runyon to Mr. Olney.

No. 442.]

Sir: Referring to my dispatch, No. 281, of June 29 last, I have the honor to append hereto a memorandum report of certain military cases, more particularly mentioned below, which have not yet been referred to [Page 526]in my correspondence with the Department, and to be, sir, your obedient servant,

Theodore Runyon
[Inclosure in No. 442.]


George P. Henry Dietrich was born at Soden, near Frankfort on the Main, July 20, 1865, and emigrated in 1882 to the United States, where he became naturalized as a citizen in Cincinnati, Ohio, on November 2, 1891. In November, 1891, he returned to Germany on a visit, and on the 29th of that month he was arrested and placed in confinement, from which he was released two days later after paying a fine, which, with costs, amounted to 248.96 marks, for his failure to perform military duty. This ease was brought to the attention of the embassy by the consul-general at Frankfort, and intervention was made in Mr. Dietrich’s behalf on December 7, 1894 (F. O., No. 166), which resulted in the return to him of the money paid as fine and costs.
Emil Theodore Muller was born in Saxony in 1867, and emigrated to the United States in 1884, where he became naturalized in the State of Illinois. In August, 1895, he was, as reported by the United States commercial agent at Glauchau, after a short residence at Mylan, in Saxony, notified that he must pay a fine for his failure to perform military service. The embassy’s intervention was made on August 6 (F. O., No. 276), and no further proceedings were taken against him.
Siegmund Glaser was born in Prussia and emigrated to the United States, where he became duly naturalized as a citizen, subsequently returning to Prussia, from which country he was expelled in 1888. At his request, intervention made in his behalf on October 25, 1895 (F. O., No. 307), resulted in permission being given him to revisit his family at the place of his former residence.
Jacob Oberlin and Henry Scherer were born in Alsace and, after obtaining, their release from German allegiance, emigrated to the United States, where they became naturalized as citizens. Upon their return to Alsace an order was issued to them to leave the country before October 30, 1895. At their request intervention was made in their behalf on October 26 (F. O., No. 308). A few days later a reply was received from the imperial foreign office in which it was stated that the request addressed to the local authorities by Oberlin and Scherer directly, to be allowed to remain in Alsace until some time in March next, had already been granted.