Jonathan Russell - People - Department History
Jonathan Russell (1771–1832)
State of Residence: Rhode Island
- Chargé d’Affaires (France)
Appointed: Commission not of record, but enclosed with an instruction of November 5, 1810
Termination of Mission: Superseded November 17, 1811
- Received his commission about February 13, 1811; was not issued a letter of credence, but continued his official relations with the Government of France begun in September 1810 as Chargé d’Affaires ad interim.
- Chargé d’Affaires (United Kingdom)
Appointed: July 27, 1811
Presentation of Credentials: November 15, 1811
Termination of Mission: The United States declared war on Great Britain on June 18, 1812
- Commission (issued during a recess of the Senate) not of record, but enclosed with an instruction of July 27, 1811. Russell received unofficial notice of the U.S. declaration of war on July 29, 1812, and suspended his official functions.
- Minister Plenipotentiary (Sweden)
Appointed: January 18, 1814
Presentation of Credentials: April 29, 1818
Termination of Mission: Left post on October 22, 1818
- An earlier nomination of May 29, 1813, had been rejected by the Senate. Served at the court of Sweden and Norway; resident at Stockholm.