John James Appleton - People - Department History
John James Appleton (1792–1864)
State of Residence: Massachusetts
- Chargé d’Affaires ad interim (Portugal)
Began Service: June 1820
Ended Service: Appleton's last despatch was dated July 12, 1821
- The Legation to Portugal at Rio de Janeiro was closed in 1821.
- Chargé d’Affaires (Sweden)
Appointed: May 2, 1826
Presentation of Credentials: October 28, 1826
Termination of Mission: Presented recall on August 16, 1830
- Served at the court of Sweden and Norway; resident at Stockholm.
- Chargé d’Affaires (Portugal)
- Not commissioned; nomination to be Chargé d’Affaires at Rio de Janeiro rejected by the Senate.