Uruguay became independent of Spain in 1811 and was annexed by Brazil until 1825. Following a three-year federation with Argentina, Uruguay became an independent nation in 1828. Thirty years later, the United States established diplomatic relations with Uruguay and the two nations have since maintained close ties.
Modern Flag of Uruguay
The United States recognized the independent state of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay on January 25, 1836, by the issuance of an exequatur to John Darby, as Consul General at New York.
Diplomatic relations were established on October 2, 1867, when American Minister Resident Alexander Asboth presented his credentials to the Government of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay. Asboth was also accredited to Argentina and resident at Buenos Aires.
The American Legation in Montevideo opened on July 6, 1870, under Minister Resident John L. Stevens.
The Secretary of State announced on January 11, 1941, that the President had given his approval to raise the status of the American Legation in Uruguay to that of an Embassy. William Dawson was the first U.S. Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to Uruguay and was appointed on February 11, 1941. He presented his credentials to the Government of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay on July 12, 1941.