The Congress of Vienna of 1815 re-established the independence and neutrality of Switzerland. Since the 1820s the United States and Switzerland have enjoyed consular relations. In 1847, the United States and Switzerland concluded a Convention on the Disposal of Property, and in 1853 the United States established a Legation in Switzerland.Modern Flag of Switzerland
The Government of Switzerland sent honorary consuls to the United States as early as 1822, one located in Washington, DC, and the other in New York City. However, the first official record of United States’ recognition of Switzerland appears to have been the appointment of John Godfrey Boeker as American Consul General at Basel on November 30, 1829. He assumed his post in October 1830.
John Godfrey Boeker was appointed Consul General at Basel on November 30, 1829 and began serving in October 1830.
Diplomatic relations and the American Legation in Switzerland were established on June 29, 1853, when Theodore S. Fay presented his credentials as U.S. Minister Resident in Switzerland.
Frances E. Willis was appointed as the first U.S. Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to Switzerland on July 20, 1953. She presented her credentials on October 9, 1953.
On May 18, 1847, representatives of the United States and Switzerland concluded a Convention for the Disposal of Property in Washington, D.C.