Relations between Madagascar (formerly the Malagasy Republic) and the United States date to the middle 1800s. John P. Finkelmeier was appointed Commercial Agent in Tamatave on February 13, 1866. The two countries concluded a commercial convention in 1867 and a treaty of peace, friendship, and commerce in 1881. Finkelmeier was appointed Consul on June 17, 1874. In 1890, France assumed sovereignty over Madagascar as a colony. The U.S. consulate moved from Tamatave to Tananarivo on or around July 8, 1916.
Modern Flag of Madagascar
The United States recognized the Malagasy Republic on June 25, 1960, when President Dwight D. Eisenhower sent a letter to that effect to President Philibert Tsiranana. The area that became the Malagasy Republic had been previously under French sovereignty.
With the establishment of the independent Malagasy Republic, the American Consulate at Tananarive (now Antananarivo) was elevated to Embassy status on June 25, 1960 with former Consul J. Roland Jacobs as Charge d’Affaires ad interim.
Frederic P. Bartlett was appointed Ambassador to the Malagasy Republic on August 27, 1960.