Following both French and Spanish rule from as early as the 16th century, the island nation of the Dominican Republic declared itself an independent nation from neighboring Haiti in 1844. The new state voluntarily returned to the Spanish Empire, and in 1865, independence was restored. U.S. military occupations of the Dominican Republic have at times strained relations between the two nations.
Modern Flag of The Dominican Republic
The United States recognized the Dominican Republic on September 17, 1866, on which day an exequatur was issued to J.W. Currier as Dominican consul general at New York.
Diplomatic relations were established on March 26, 1884, when John M. Langston presented his credentials as American Charge d’Affaires to the Government of the Dominican Republic. He was also accredited to Haiti and resident at Port-au-Prince.
The American Legation in Santo Domingo was established on July 23, 1904, when Thomas C. Dawson presented his credentials as Minister Resident/Consul General.
Following a joint announcement on March 23, 1943, between the United States and seven American Republics that included Dominican Republic, the Legations in the respective nations and the United States were raised to the status of Embassy. Avra M. Warren was promoted to Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary and presented his credentials to the Government of Dominican Republic on April 17, 1943.