174. Telegram 1246 From the Embassy in Costa Rica to the Department of State1 2
- Figueres’ Views on Relations With Communist Bloc
- San Jose 1237
1. In May 20 discussion with Amb Ploeser, Figueres said he wants USG know that he prepared trade with communist bloc when such trade to CR’s advantage but that politically GOCR will remain firmly on US side.
2. Figueres said Cuba definitely constitutes exception with respect his open door attitude towards communist bloc. He continues have very strong antipathy towards Castro and considers his detention political prisoners particularly repugnant.
3. Figueres said wishes make CR showplace of economic/social development which will contrast sharply with situation Cuba. To this end he particularly interested improving port and transportation facilities and making outstanding success his qte war on poverty unqte. Latter connection he expressed active interest progress agricultural sector loan.
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, Central Files 1970–73, POL 1 COSTA RICA. Confidential. It was repeated to Guatemala City, Managua, San Salvador, Tegucigalpa, and CINCSO/POLAD.↩
- The Embassy reported that President Figueres told Ambassador Ploeser that Costa Rica intended to conduct trade with the communist bloc, but that it would remain firmly on the U.S. side.↩